Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK
by Simon at 16:23 20/12/07 (Blogs::Simon)
Here's the background:

"Due to cost overruns the UK's funding agency for particle physics and astronomy, STFC, is recouping £80M with deep cuts to UK physics operations in these areas. These include ending the UK's involvement in the International Linear Collider - the next generation of particle physics experiment. This risks relegating the UK to second tier involvement in future research and critically damaging the country's standing within the community. Furthermore UK Astronomy will be seriously hit with up to a 25% cut in grants. This is incompatible with the government's stated aim of making Britain a world leader in science. A review of this decision has recently been announced and we urge the Prime Minister to press for another solution to this problem before UK physics is set back by decades."

... and here's where to sign the petition.

The cynic in me says "Much good it'll do", but please sign it anyway.

Thanks
--
simon

<< Google Earth of Solstice Park Oversized lordships abused in ... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK Simon - 16:23 20/12/07
Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK David Crowson - 17:14 20/12/07
duly signed, and I had to chuckle with a sense of total aptness as I filled in igotan@ombomb.com in the email bit :)

--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 23:13 20/12/07
-
- Deleted User Account - 23:16 20/12/07
-
- Deleted User Account - 20:25 09/02/08
-
- Deleted User Account - 17:09 08/04/08
-
Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK Simon - 17:13 08/04/08
Frankly, even if they're actually telling the truth in their response I don't find myself able to believe them.

I think that the news tickers on BBC News 24 and Sky News should always say:

Breaking News: The politician currently on screen above is lying their arse off.

--
simon
Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK David Crowson - 17:40 08/04/08
I've always assumed so by default....

Isn't M.P. latin for 'lying cnut' ? :)
--
bombholio

Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK David Crowson - 17:41 08/04/08
... Most Perfidious (sorry about the nasty word in the last post, got a bit irate thinking about them :)

--
bombholio

Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK Simon - 18:01 08/04/08
Easily done, easily done.

See this?
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 18:31 08/04/08
-
Re: Petition against cutbacks in Physics and Atronomy funding in the UK David Crowson - 00:35 09/04/08
ah, sod the fingerprints, only his head on a stick will do, damn, there I go again....

--
bombholio