Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Amateur rocket reaches space
by Simon at 14:00 20/05/04 (Blogs::Simon)
http://www.space-frontier.org/PressReleases/2004/20040519gofastflight.html
The race is hotting up...
--
simon
<< Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adve... "Because we can" >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Amateur rocket reaches space Simon - 14:00 20/05/04
Re: Amateur rocket reaches space David Crowson - 17:53 20/05/04
Makes me wish I was 30 years younger :)

--
bombholio

Next attempt, 21st June Simon - 11:33 03/06/04
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/New_Index/news/062104.htm
--
simon
Re: Next attempt, 21st June David Crowson - 11:40 03/06/04
wonder how much a flight to the Mojave costs...

very tempting to go see it take off....
--
bombholio

World's first spaceport Simon - 11:46 03/06/04
They're talking about setting up the world's first commercial spaceport there:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/05/24/mojave.spaceport/index.html

... so I bet there'll be lots of business opportunities springing up. Time to open a bar for aliens?
--
simon

Re: World's first spaceport David Crowson - 12:00 03/06/04
If either of us did that then it'd be run by an alien ;-p

Cold beer, in the middle of the Mojave, you could charge a premium (remember that scene in 'Ice Cold in Alex' :)

--
bombholio

Hush! Simon - 12:03 03/06/04
If either of us did that then it'd be run by an alien ;-p

You know very well there's another 8 years to go before we're allowed to tell them!
--
simon

Re: Next attempt, 21st June Gordon Hundley - 02:35 08/06/04
Mojave Airport

The 21st will be an attempt on the required competition altitude, minus ballast/passengers. Unfortunately, you can't fly there unless you plan on spending over a week, as the airport will be closed to unscheduled aircraft for several days before and after the launch (due to overwhelming public interest).

However, if you've got a private plane and for some unexpected reason had to land, heh, there are DOZENS of former airfields and airports very close. There's Mojave itself, built around the previous airport - the main streets are actually former runways and taxi strips. There's the prior CAP base at Silver Lake (yep, that one), there's Cuddleback Lake Airforce Range (the old landing site of the X15s), Baker field, Myer field... both Mojave and Edwards AFB monitor the emergency civil frequencies in that locale.

For an easy in, Bakersfield isn't so far away, along with the Meadows Field (BFL) airport with domestic scheduled flights daily, car rental, and all the trimmings. Using the BFL code you can get the prices easily, but it won't be cheap to book this close up ($500+).

Yeah, I thought about it.
--
DrGoon

Re: Next attempt, 21st June Simon - 07:56 08/06/04
I note the Mohave Spaceport website says that 24 hour self serve fuel is now available.

Shame it's not a full service station.

"Fill 'er up - 2 tons of hydrazine please, and can you check my gimbals?"
--
simon