Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

VMWare competition for Parallels
by Bruce Ure at 10:53 22/12/06 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
VMWare has announced a pre-release version of their Parallels-like Intel virtualisation package, here.
It allegedly supports folder drag and drop between guest and host.

Pass the wipes.

--

<< Build Your Own Mac PVR (for fr... Google Analytics Access Manage... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 10:53 22/12/06
Re: VMWare competition for Parallels David Crowson - 11:40 22/12/06
parallels released an upgrade today too...

--
bombholio

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 12:24 22/12/06
Yebbut although it adds conspicuously-absent USB2 functionality, it don't do drag and drop.

--

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels David Crowson - 12:29 22/12/06
Why would you want to when you can drag and drop to the parallels network folder thatīs pointing at wherever you want it (mineīs on an external disk).

BTW USB2 works fine for me.....(as it did in the last version, dunno why theyīve said the functionality didnīt exist when clearly it did)

--
bombholio

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 17:28 22/12/06
When I plug a USB2 device in, it complains that performance will not be as good as it could be, because the interface is only USB 1.1. Whether performance actually suffers, I have no idea -- I suspect it would, otherwise why the fuss. But none of the USB devices I've attached has been speed-critical.

I know what you mean about the Parallels shared folders and drag and drop, I just think drag and drop between host & guest is really cool, and "another tool in your personal computing efficiency toolbox".

Or something.

--

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels David Crowson - 17:42 22/12/06
i get that message on my vaio, cos it only has usb 1 ports , and yup, it's annoying as hell, you'd think the f**gin OS would know these things right ....

and yeah IKWYM but I'm now commercially biased having bought a license :)

--
bombholio

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 19:16 15/01/07
Bloody hell, the Coherence feature is scary! Windows... on a Mac... but on their own, not even in a containing, virtual-machine-hosty-type window.

Windows windows and OSX windows sharing the same desktop... spooky.

--

- Deleted User Account - 20:16 15/01/07
-
Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 20:42 15/01/07
Possibly this is a tad different from what you're thinking of.

The Intel Macs have the ability to run some (lots of, I think) Windows instructions natively, at the hardware level, instead of under an emulation of an Intel CPU in software, which makes it loads quicker.

You can't emulate an (Intel - not sure about PPC) Mac under Windows, because OSX checks its hardware and if it's not Apple it won't run on it. (Exception: certain die-hard folk have coerced OSX into running on non-Apple Intel hardware, and therefore probably virtual hardware as well, but it's mostly just proof of concept).

And yes Windows windows on a Mac has been done before, but I for one have never seen Windows application windows and Mac application windows on the same desktop, co-existing. IME Windows has always run as a VM in a window of its own, and programs therefore all run in that window as well -- one window for all the Windows apps.

The new version of Parallels which I described as spooky, allows Windows windows to run in their own window, IYSWIM, amongst the OSX windows.

It is quite bizarre the first time you see it, although I'll grant that it probably looks better than it describes.

Fuck it... here's a screenshot.

--

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Simon - 23:49 15/01/07
Nice - I'd not seen that before, though I've heard about it.

You can really see just how tatty the Windows window widgets actually are IYSWIM.
--
simon

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Bruce Ure - 06:34 16/01/07
That screenshot's of XP in 'Windows Classic Style' as MS calls it. Here's a screenshot of XP mode. It's trying to be more Maccy but it just sucks.

--

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels Simon - 10:17 16/01/07
Ooh - look at all the pretty primary colours.

Not a fan, I have to say.

Had my first IE7 crash under XP on VMWare. I think it objected to having Opera and Firefox open at the same time - or maybe they ganged up on it behind the scenes and shot it in the head.

--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 17:47 16/01/07
-
- Deleted User Account - 15:26 24/04/07
-