Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Historic GUI Screenshots
by Simon at 20:38 22/09/06 (Blogs::Simon)
Some of you may know about this site already.

Screenshots from a variety of ancient and modern operating systems.

I particularly like this one, it reminds me of my early Mac days even though Mac OS had moved on to System 6 by the time I first encountered it.
--
simon
<< RIP Raymond Baxter Autumn Equinox 2006 >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Historic GUI Screenshots Simon - 20:38 22/09/06
Re: Historic GUI Screenshots Gordon Hundley - 09:09 23/09/06
I played with a very early Mac in Glasgow University's computer science department in 1984. They got a couple of them in for computer graphics. It wasn't until the following year that I got my hands on a Lisa.

I was disappointed with that site's Amiga software. Instead, I suggest Workbench Nostalgia. I did get to play with version 1.0 loaded on an Amiga 1000, but it wasn't until the A500 came along that I was able to afford my own Amiga, that being a 1.2 system.
--
DrGoon

Re: Historic GUI Screenshots Simon - 08:40 25/09/06
It's odd, and I've often wondered why, that I never had or used an Amiga.

It's possible that it all goes back to the fact that the first computer I ever had hands-on experience of was a Zilog-powered Nascom 1.
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 09:26 25/09/06
-
Re: Historic GUI Screenshots Gordon Hundley - 19:17 25/09/06
That, and the fact that Commodore didn't have a clue how to market it. Outside of gaming and video production, it was very much an unknown product. For somebody interested in powerful operating systems due to exposure to Unix, it was a great system. It was small, cheap and fast, but had a powerful GUI combined with pre-emptive multitasking. AmigaDOS was a little arcane due to its roots, but people ported Korn shell clones and other Unix commands in fairly short order.

It wasn't until Mac OS X that there was a replacement that had a useful Unix-like shell, pre-emptive multitasking and a sophisticated but simple GUI. Still, even with Mac OS X, there's more than a couple of things that could be learned from the Amiga, and I still laugh when I see how much memory this all takes. Carl Sassenrath and his engineers were smart buggers and I wonder if Carl's work at Apple would have got us here sooner and more elegantly had Apple's political culture been better back in the late 80s.
--
DrGoon