Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs
by Simon at 18:22 05/04/06 (Blogs::Simon)
Now you can officially run XP on your Intel Mac.

Watch out for the dire warnings though.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Where will it end...
--
simon

<< Solar Eclipse Polynesian Prehistory >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs Simon - 18:22 05/04/06
Re: OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs Dominic Search - 04:20 06/04/06
Cool... is it yet possible to do the contrary - run Intel MacOS natively on existing PC hardware?
Re: OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs Gordon Hundley - 07:58 06/04/06
Yes, but if you do, you'll probably be deemed to be a terrorist or something.

--
DrGoon

Re: OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs Simon - 09:06 06/04/06
I think this is the opposite to what Apple want to happen (not that that's stopping ongoing efforts amongst various sections of the developer community to make it possible).

I'm impressed at how smoothly the transition to Intel has been for Apple so far - a year ago they were beholden to a single chip manufacturer who seemed unable to deliver competitive performance improvements, and now they have the ability (if they want to use it) to switch between processors according to which family's doing better at any particular time.

I wonder if MS will cripple Vista to prevent its running on Intel Macs? I can think of reasons why they might want to do that, and other reasons why they might not - I bet the option's been considered though.

--
simon

Re: OSX Boot Camp = XP on Intel Macs Gordon Hundley - 02:45 07/04/06
It's a smooth transition because Apple have been compiling every version of Mac OS on both hardware platforms since the early Rhapsody releases. They just had to wait long enough to drop Blue Box, er, Classic. Perhaps one day we'll see Bootcamp augmented by a Red Box (an application environment that would allow Windows apps to run under OS X).

I suspect future versions of Windows will natively boot on a Mactel just fine, as will Service Pack updated older versions in a few months. At present, Microsoft say that Vista won't support EFI at launch. However, Microsoft has every reason to support Intel's boot architecture on x86, since it incorporates features they've been involved in steering and developing, including hardware DRM. Bloody huge win for Apple if Microsoft don't support EFI on x86. Media hungry consumers aren't exactly queuing up to buy Itanium systems.

--
DrGoon

Parallels Simon - 17:17 13/04/06
This is the way to do it, and rumour has it that Leopard will also include virtualisation on Intel Macs.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/06/parallels/index.php
--
simon

Re: Parallels Gordon Hundley - 02:17 18/06/06
Interestingly enough... Apple's own web site now proclaims Parallels to be the Holy Grail. Buyout on its way?

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html
--
DrGoon