Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Uh oh - this one'll scare ya.
by Simon at 15:28 31/01/06 (Blogs::Simon)
Industrial civilisation is a one-shot affair, rapidly consuming the pre-requisites of its existence.

This is the Olduvai Theory, and now that we're hitting peak oil it's all downhill folks...

http://dieoff.org/page125.htm
--
simon
<< Ice Age research Nice collection of OS X menu b... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. Simon - 15:28 31/01/06
Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. David Crowson - 16:14 31/01/06
I prefer the conclusions from the book I've mentioned before 'The End of Oil'

Yes ,production has probably at or about it's peak and the new field discoveries aren't enough to replenish the reserves, but there are alternatives and as technology progresses these alternatives will prove to be more and more efficient.(because they have to)

I agree we are probably looking at the end of the old energy ecomony and the transition to a new one will not be easy , but it is possible (but only if the USA play ball....for example , if the US got rid of their SUV's and reduce the average mpg by 6mpg then they could do without the Saudi reserves altogethor)

--
bombholio

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. Simon - 16:26 31/01/06
I'll cheer up a bit then :-)

--
simon

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. David Crowson - 18:29 31/01/06
:)

That's the ticket, a blind faith in optimism, there's no shortage of the stuff and soon it'll be all we have left :-0

cue stage left: a mad helmet invention of the genus 'Emmitus Brown' that harnesses optimism as energy.....I'll be quiet now I've released that one into the universe =8^)

--
bombholio

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. David Crowson - 18:36 31/01/06
oh and btw I wasn't trying to bash the US, thats the books opine not mine..

--
bombholio

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. Simon - 18:49 31/01/06
Bash away - but at the right bits.

We're no better - I saw in the local supermarket the other day, reduced price "Far InfraRed Patio Heaters" - heaters that don't glow orange...

...so you can't tell if you've left them on.!

--
simon

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. Bruce Ure - 09:55 01/02/06
Mmmm, patio heaters. How in god's name did we manage to evolve so far without them?

Surely "patio heater" is a misnomer, as their main function is "CO2 generator"? Bloody marvellous. Just what the planet needs.

In fact, after a quick trawl about, I just discovered to my horror that the annual CO2 output of the UK's patio heaters is between 200,000 and 380,000 tonnes. So that we don't have to put a jumper on when we have a barbie.

Nice Guardian article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1589233,00.html.

Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. David Crowson - 10:53 06/02/06
and there's more
--
bombholio
Re: Uh oh - this one'll scare ya. David Crowson - 13:51 06/02/06
For more info , you might like to point your pointy thing at

From the Wilderness.com

and

Global Security.org

--
bombholio