Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph
by Simon at 23:33 29/01/06 (Blogs::Simon)
Described by most(?) authorities as being a pictorial representation of the heart and lungs, and has the concept of "beauty" associated with it, as in "nfr-ntr" ('beautiful god').
I think it's a pendulum / plumb-bob.

Check out this pic of a plumb, a square, and a square level from the tomb of Senedjem
at Deir el-Medineh. (Cairo 27280, 27259, 27258)

Ref: http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/ahist/arnold/arnold.htm

Here's the hieroglyph in question:
--
simon

Attachments...
GIF image (0 K) nrf glyph: plumb-bob/pendulum or heart and lungs?
<< Lake Agassiz Another site to check out >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph Simon - 23:33 29/01/06
Re: The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph Steve - 00:03 30/01/06
Maybe we need to see it used in a sentence to determine the appropriate interpretation? I believe the there exists a hieroglyphic reference to Nefertiti and she is considered to be an epitome of beauty so presumably that hieroglyph should show up near hers?

(Unless it happens to be talking about the time she did a spot of interior redecoration at Amarna).

Fascinating stuff on the Discovery channel over here.

--
stevepa

Re: The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph Simon - 23:03 30/01/06
OK, here is an example of the usage of 'nfr' (from http://www.astrodoc.net/andere/Bak/Bak_Naos.html)

This is an inscription on the burial tomb of Bak (and his wife) - he was the chief sculptor to Akhenaten just prior to the Amarna period.

The bit we're interested in the first section of the translation below the picture on that page, and the transliteration (copied here for convenience) is:

Htp-dj-nsw pA-Jtn anx sHD tA m nfrw=f dj=f anx nfr nfrw m Hsw nDm-jb //// n kA n Xrj-a n Hm=f Hrj-sanxw n nb tAwj Hsy n nTr nfr BAk mAa-xrw

//// indicates missing text (a couple of words in this case, indicated by the cross-hatching in the hieroglyphs on the source page)

This fragment is "Hsy n nTr nfr" (pronounced - roughly - Huhssy en netcher neffer" and means - approximately - "praised/favorites of the beautiful/perfect God":

Hsy n nTr nfr

First three glyphs are 'Hs' (praised/favorite) and 'y' (the two sedge flowers = y, dual plural).

The zigzag above the final two glyphs is 'n' (of the), then the flag is 'nTr' (nature/God) and finally the heart/lungs/windpipe or plumb-bob/pendulum glyph is 'nfr' (beautiful/perfect)

The page is in German, but Google's translator makes a surprisingly good attempt at sorting out the sense of the German version of the Egyptian, considering the somewhat arcane phraseology of offering formulae such as this.

One key differences are that Google's "victim" should be "offering" (usually of "bread, beer and all good things")

--
simon

Attachments...
GIF image (0 K) Hsy n ntr nfr
Re: The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph Steve - 23:54 30/01/06
Interesting. I thought the zigzag represented water. I think I need to go back and review my hieroglyphics 101. However my point was that the nfr has traditionally meant beauty and I was a little confused by your assertion that it was a measuring tool. :-) Did I misunderstand you?

And on a slightly different tack, from what I read about Akhenaten, his switch to sun worship (Aton) came about around the time he founded Amarna and when both he and Nefertiti established themselves as Gods. So is that fragment a reference to Akhenaten or even Nefertiti? (I can't even find out where Bak was buried).

--
stevepa

Re: The Egyptian nfr hieroglyph Simon - 01:11 31/01/06
Three zigzags (one above the other) represent water ('mw').

My assertion of its plumb-bobbedness is down to (a) its similarity in appearance to the heart-shaped plumb-bob in the picture, and (b) the similarity in concept (in my mind) of 'perfection / beauty' with a pendulum ticking out a constant beat due only to the length of the string and the force of gravity.

Given that I've just finished that book on megalithic measurement that infers a unified system based on a pendulum length such that it beats 366 times in the time taken for Venus to travel 1/366 around the sky (on specific dates when Venus is moving quickest against the backdrop of stars), well, it just chimed with my current thought processes.

The fragment is authored by Bak (who happens to be the head sculptor of the King (Akhenaten)) and it basically says "Here is a splendid offering to the Aten, which illuminates the land with its beauty. In return may it grant the heart's desire and a beautiful life to the spirit of this sculptor to his Majesty the Lord of the Two Lands the favorite of the good God, Bak, speaker of truth."

So it's not a reference to Akhenaten or Nefertiti - which means, incidentally, "The beautiful one (female gender) has come" - nfrt iti. Her full name was Neferneferuaten-Nefertiti, and that's a heck of a lot of nfr for one person to carry off!

--
simon