Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Poo Music
by Bruce Ure at 20:31 14/09/05 (Blogs::Bruce)
I'm sooooo bored with my music. It's all poo.
I have so much of the damn stuff but it doesn't make it any easier to find something good to play -- in fact if anything it seems to make it harder.

You know you've reached this stage when you construct playlists like: "all songs where artist or title contains 'poo'".

And since you ask, I have 73 such tracks ranging from Blink 182's "Apple Shampoo" to Deep Dish's "Spook", King Tubby & Prince Jammy's "The Poor Barber" and Royksopp's "Poor Leno".

Ugh. Bangs head on wall.

--

<< Google humour Scale of chilli hotness >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Poo Music Bruce Ure - 20:31 14/09/05
Re: Poo Music Hugo van der Sanden - 00:37 15/09/05
Elgar's cello concerto (especially the recording with Jacqueline du Pre as soloist)

Mozart horn concertos (Dennis Brain as soloist)

Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto, and Rachmaninov's third. (Haven't found the perfect recording yet, but there are many of acceptable quality.)

Mahler's first symphony (probably with Karajan conducting)

Beethoven's first symphony

Any good organist playing Vidor's toccata, that thing by Vierne, JS Bach's toccata and fugue in D minor, and the passacaglia and fugue in C minor

Chopin preludes, waltzes and the 3rd ballade played by Ashkenazy

Vivaldi's "Dixit Dominus", ideally my bootleg recording of Mike Brewer with the National Youth Orchestra and Choir

Paganini's violin concerto

Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Bruch's violin concerto (with Yehudi Menuhin as soloist)

Clues for listening: if you want background music stick on anything by Mozart. If you want to listen to something, put on the headphones and turn up the volume. There isn't much of a halfway house here.

HTH,

Hugo

Re: Poo Music Bruce Ure - 09:41 15/09/05
Wow. Thanks for that. I don't listen to much classical, like, but not through much else than ignerance and not knowing where to start, because when I do hear it I love it. Beethoven's Ninth puts the hairs on the back of my neck on end (in a good way).

JonnyT listens to a lot more stuff like that, although it tends to be classical guitar and things like Jacques Loussier (Cousteau, as I call him) and Paco de Lucia's Concerto De Aranthuez (Lunch Concerto, or is that Almuerzo).

Re. listening clues, at the moment me and JonnyT are in development of a ludicrously high quality amplifier and DAC which we hope to take to market in the spring. It's ridiculously good (although not because of anything much we've done -- we're basically putting it in a box), and whilst you're right about headphones being excellent, with this amp and in fact probably any system over about a couple of grand I suppose, you can crank it up through the speakers and it's audio heaven. Not as pure as headphones in some ways but better in others... less restricted, more natural perhaps. I'd be interested to hear (ha) what you thought of it. And through decent speakers (never before have I had a genuine justification for spending stupid amounts on hi-fi).

We're doing prototype 2 at the moment, but have had a number of setbacks involving sparks and small explosions. Today, in fact, should be the official launch of prototype 2, DHL permitting.

AAMOI what sort of quality level is your hi-fi system? And what are your phones?

--

Re: Poo Music Hugo van der Sanden - 11:19 15/09/05
For me the issue is less the quality of the hifi output, more the removal of other sources of sound. I guess that becomes most relevant when you're listening, say, to a treble soloist filling a cathedral, or 150 singers so well knit that an 's' is a single sound rather than a second-long nest of snakes.

I have no hifi at the moment, I may be in the market for some. My headphones are great big heavy brown things hacked by my brother about 25 years ago, no idea what make - very good at cutting out external noise, but with a tendency to hurt the top of my head after an hour or two.

Hugo

Re: Poo Music Bruce Ure - 12:05 15/09/05
There are headphones from Bose, for whom I reserve a healthy contempt (whilst aware that they have their proponents so they must have /something/ going for them), which claim electronically to cut out background noise by the use of cancellation, in the form of inverting and amplifying the noise it picks up at the back of the headphone thus cancelling it out and preventing it from reaching your lughole. I've no idea if they are any good at that task. I have seen reports that say they are. But they are not purist enough for my taste. They (Bose) are a little bit Bang and Olufsen: design- rather than performance-led. Bit like a Mac, in fact. <Takes cover>.

If you are serious about possibly being in the market for a nupgrade then I think a world of ecstasy could await you. The difference between your 25 year old sibling-hacked 'phones and a pair of modern Sennheisers like Jon's or my lesser ones (his were >200 quid I think, mine were a "mere" 120 or so) will be absolutely stunning. At which point you might well decide to go for a better amp as well. Jon and I have (re-)discovered that even the differences between two supposedly top-end systems can be blindingly obvious, and more to the point one is usually easily identifiable as "better". Which means you tend to be loath to go back to the less good one.

If you would like to hear this amp/DAC combination once we've fired prototype II up without the use of a fire extinguisher, you'd be more than welcome. It is like lying on a lilo on a gently undulating azure sea with your eyes closed, whilst being drizzled from above in warm honey.

Although I suppose that might be slightly subjective.

--

Re: Poo Music Simon - 09:39 15/09/05
I fear you're trapped in a modern music maze. Try some of these instead...

California Dreaming - The Mamas and the Papas

Back in Black, For Those About to Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC

Meet on the Ledge, Red and Gold, Matty Groves - Fairport Convention

The Immigrant Song, In Through the Out Door - Led Zeppelin

Needle Gun, Magnu, Motorway City, Psi Powers, Spirit of the Age - Hawkwind

Run for Home, Lady Eleanor - Lindesfarne

Fantasy Shift, Been and Gone - Here and Now

Blowin' Free - Wishbone Ash

Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman, When a Blind Man Cries, Fireball - Deep Purple

Bad Moon Rising - Credence Clearwater Revival

Galway Farmer, Cutthroats Crooks and Conmen - Show of Hands

Clear Air Turbulence, Scarabus - Ian Gillan Band

Cheyenne, Time for a Toke - Solstice

XII, Berlin - Barclay James Harvest

Ace of Spades, Bomber, St Valentine's Day Massacre - Motorhead

The Weapon, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, 2112, Jacob's Ladder, Red Barchetta - Rush

Tush, Race with the Devil - Girlschool

--
simon

Re: Poo Music Bruce Ure - 09:50 15/09/05
Another wow. Thanks very much. Not big on "rock" (can't say that without imagining Bill Bailey saying it in a Welsh accent -- "I love rock, me") and especially not metal, but I'll give some of the less metallic ones a go.

I was going to say I have a healthy prejudice against heavy rock music but I've been pretty open minded over the years, so I reckon it's 'postjudice'.

I'm listening to Can at the moment -- bloody hell, their drummer's a bit good, innit.

--

Re: Poo Music Simon - 10:12 15/09/05
Not big on "rock"

Ah, ya big girl's blouse!
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 10:53 15/09/05
-
Re: Poo Music Gordon Hundley - 07:32 14/02/06
Sorry I ain't been on this site for a while, but I need to point out:

Jaki is a drumming GOD.

Get your ears around Porcupine Tree (its like Floyd got modern and lost their baggage at Heathrow) LCD Soundsystem (its like The Fall meets electro and has trendy children) and Do Make Say Think (its meandering, ambient, post-rock, psychadelic, jamming, jazzy, and yet none of those things in the form you might expect).

--
DrGoon

Re: Poo Music Bruce Ure - 20:38 14/02/06
Cheers Gordon! I know Porcupine Tree, excellent band; not come across the others... I'll steal^H^H^H^H^Hevaluate some with all speed.

Nice to hear from you again. Glad things are going ok. How's Signe?

--

Re: Poo Music Gordon Hundley - 06:10 15/02/06
We're both doing well, thanks. Oh... and if you have been enjoying both Can and Porcupine Tree - you'll probably like Steven Wilson's Krautrock pastiche I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck). It's very much in the style of Can/Faust/Neu.
--
DrGoon
Re: Poo Music Gordon Hundley - 09:06 17/02/06
Having necro'd your old thread, I'm just going to throw some more suggestions in here, starting with what's fun around America at the moment:

Kind of on the Jazzy side of stuff -

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, especially Little Worlds and Live at the Quick (here's his bass player Victor Wooten).

...which logically leads to 'jam band' extraordinaire The Dave Matthews Band, of which DMBLive Vol 1 is essential and features both Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin of the Flecktones.

Garage rock rebirth band The White Stripes are of course fantastic, but should be known by everybody, suffering as they do from media over-exposure.

On the reggae front, theres the Hassidic reggae singer Matisyahu and yet more eclectic, there's The Dresden Dolls. If you don't know either, there's a surprise in store for you.

There's the commercially successful psych/space rock Mars Volta, the astonishing symphonic Glass Hammer and the more harmonic prog of Echolyn.

So there you go, modern American music that amuses me.

--
DrGoon

Re: Poo Music David Crowson - 18:21 15/09/05
Cheers Bruce, just don't ask me for music ever again.

--
bombholio

Re: Poo Music David Crowson - 23:19 15/09/05
damn , I appear to have gotten out of bed on the wrong side...I'll crawl back in my box now :)

--
bombholio

Re: Poo Music David Crowson - 23:55 15/09/05
Whilst we're on the subject, I see Apple have pulled a master stroke last week with their new placement for the Ipod mini
--
bombholio
Re: Poo Music Steve - 21:11 15/09/05
I thought "poo music" was a rendition of the infamous brown note.

Talking of which, I wonder whether if you played the brown note to a deaf person, would it still cause that person to evacuate their bowels?

--
stevepa