Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

AJAX experiments
by Simon at 17:22 07/09/05 (Blogs::Simon)
Asynchronous JavaScript + XML - the latest webapp approach to be hyped, following Google's widespread deployment of the technique with Googlemaps/GMail and so on.

I've been playing :-)

The term AJAX was coined by Adaptive Technologies, and a search for AJAX tutorials on Google brings up some simple examples.

Here's the result of a couple of hours' of my playing. Copies of the server-side scripts are also provided, but you want to load the HTML files to see what they do first. View the HTML source to look at the JavaScript that's doing the work client-side.
--
simon

<< High speed, personal, public t... Seriously cool >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
AJAX experiments Simon - 17:22 07/09/05
Re: AJAX experiments Steve - 19:29 07/09/05
The postcode one is pretty cool. I initially thought that you misspelt "penis" in the error message that appears when I enter an invalid postcode, but then I realised that Bruce didn't code this so I think it's fine as it is.

:-)

--
stevepa

Re: AJAX experiments Simon - 09:50 08/09/05
Arf!

As always with these things, it's tricky to think of something that's worthwhile spending more than a couple of hours on - 'hello world' doesn't quite do it for me.

I'm considering creating a 'preview all publicly available Novacaster RSS feeds' tool, mainly 'cos that's about the only XML we auto-generate (and I can't be fagged to spend ages creating dummy data).

Trouble is, I *hate* writing JavaScript...

--
simon