Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Schools could save 500M UKP a year by ditching Microsoft
by Simon at 09:12 11/05/05 (Blogs::Simon)
The Times Educational Supplement has an article reporting that BECTA (British Educational Communications and Technology Association, the Government’s ICT agency) has discovered that schools could save 50% of their ICT budget by moving away from Microsoft in favour of open source alternatives.
TES article is here.

Firstly, I think it is a welcome change to see this openly discussed in the UK at last.

Secondly, I foresee the familiar debate over the words "free software" being re-run (free as in speech, not free as in beer)

Thirdly, I hope this will galvanize the opposition to software patents.

I wonder what HMG will make of the report.
--
simon

<< Evidence against global warmin... House hunting, spleen emptying >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Schools could save 500M UKP a year by ditching Microsoft Simon - 09:12 11/05/05
Re: Schools could save 500M UKP a year by ditching Microsoft Hugo van der Sanden - 13:12 11/05/05
Hmm, interesting to look at these numbers in the light of the Bellamy article.

You report "schools could save 50% of their ICT budget"; the TES article starts "Primary schools could cut their computer costs by nearly half" (my emphasis), and then at the end says "Average costs [...] were 24 per cent less per computer in secondaries using open source".

Maybe they could use some of the savings to improve maths teaching. :)

Hugo

Re: Schools could save between 250M and 500M UKP (approx) per year by ditching Microsoft Simon - 13:29 11/05/05
Point.

Note the not so subtle change of subject line for this comment.
--
simon