Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

US Election
by Simon at 18:22 02/11/04 (Blogs::Simon)
From www.electoral-vote.com

SCOTUS news: Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist announced last week that he was going to return to the Supreme Court yesterday. He did not return. According to the New York Times his office released a terse statement saying that the Chief Justice spent 7 days at Bethesda Naval Hospital where he was treated for thyroid cancer. He underwent a tracheotomy so he could breathe and he is now being given both chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Medical experts say this evidence suggests that the cancer was not successfully removed and that even with heroic treatment, patients with this type of cancer usually die within a year. Should the election end up in the Supreme Court, it is not known whether Rehnquist will particpate in the case and vote on the outcome. Should he decline to participate due to ill health, the deadlock in the country might end up in a Court itself deadlocked 4-4. In such an event, the lower court ruling stands but no legal precedent is set. An alternative scenario is that Chief Justice Rehnquist resigns and that President Bush makes a recess appointment, which does not require Senate confirmation. If Bush were to appoint a new justice without Senate confirmation who then cast the deciding vote to make Bush president I fear for the future of the country. Let us hope somebody wins big today with no litigation. Do your part and vote.
Wheeee - democracy in action!
--
simon
<< For Dave UK ID Card proposals >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
US Election Simon - 18:22 02/11/04
Re: US Election Nic Jackson - 10:14 03/11/04
America doesnt have Democracy it has Media-ocracy

|| | |||||| |||||||||| || ||||
Nic

Re: US Election David Crowson - 10:53 03/11/04
no , it's a fear-ocracy :)

--
bombholio

Re: US Election Simon - 11:05 03/11/04
http://www.michaelmoore.com/electionwatch/

... click the map to read what people have to say about their voting experiences in various states.

--
simon

Re: US Election scott wright - 16:24 03/11/04
On the news last night they were at a polling station in a black (democrat) area, and the state's election officer, a republican, had given them only two instead of 4 machines leading to massive queues. The person at the station complained and managed to get one more machine. This is democracy in action.

What a disgrace.

--
scott

Re: US Election Simon - 16:42 03/11/04
Yup, this election is even more of a blatant rip-off than the last one.

The stories that concern me most are the ones about the electronic election machines that record votes for Bush when Kerry was actually chosen, and don't provide any kind of paper audit trail.

I wish someone had pinched one of these machines from a Florida/Ohio precinct yesterday and given it to some geeks to disassemble.

Hell, the UK lottery machines are subject to more scrutiny and oversight!
--
simon

Re: US Election David Crowson - 16:51 03/11/04
What worries me is that fact that Warren O'Dell , CEO of Diebold (they who make the machines) was quoted as saying to Republicans in a recent fund-raising letter that he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year.".

see here

Fishy or what, they should send in the UN :)

--
bombholio

Re: US Election Simon - 11:26 06/11/04
From a Wired story:

There were also problems with machines that counted absentee ballots in Florida. Software made by Election Systems & Software began subtracting votes when totals surpassed 32,000. Officials said the problem affected only certain countywide races on one of the last pages of the ballot. Elections officials knew about the problem two years ago, but the company failed to fix the software before the election this year.

...32765, 32766, 32767, -32768, -32767, -32766...

...signed integer overflow, anyone?
--
simon

votergate.tv Simon - 22:09 08/11/04
http://votergate.tv/votergate/votergatethemovie_64kb.mov
--
simon
Re: votergate.tv David Crowson - 10:55 09/11/04
8-0

Land of the Free, I think not.....

--
bombholio

Re: votergate.tv Simon - 11:20 09/11/04
Don't worry, it couldn't possibly happen here....

.... or could it?

I bet there'd be a guerilla campaign to sabotage electronic voting machines should they be introduced in the UK. Pretty easy to do - a large enough static charge would probably be enough, or a few drawing pins pushed through the touchscreen and wiggled about a bit.
--
simon

Re: votergate.tv David Crowson - 11:34 09/11/04
and obviously the biggest flaw with these machines is that no matter who you vote for , the Govt. always gets in :(

--
bombholio

Re: votergate.tv Gordon Hundley - 15:03 10/11/04
It was a very polarised election. More of the country did in fact vote for Bush than those who did not. I think this was a great victory for Karl Rove, Bush's campaign mastermind.

However, I'm not as connected to this as most of the Americans I live among. A lot of them (particularly here in a "blue state") actually seemed to be under the impression that there would be a massive difference with a Kerry government. There would not. That said, I'd like to have seen Bush punished, at least symbolically.
--
DrGoon