Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Track of the week
by David Crowson at 17:48 02/09/04 (Blogs::Dave)
From the new Prodigy album 'Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned'

Track 5 Hot ride (Feat. Juliette Lewis)

a punky version of the Slimcea bread advert :)

--
bombholio
<< Watch in awe Swings and Roundabouts >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Track of the week David Crowson - 17:48 02/09/04
Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 22:31 02/09/04
What /the/ Juliette Lewis... of 'Natural Born Killers'?

:bu:

Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 12:31 03/09/04
could be, but whoever it is it's going round and round in my head....

now you mention it, it does sound like her, sort of.
--
bombholio

Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 14:32 03/09/04
Gosh, an individual of many talents. She is one damn fine actress; I would love to hear her sing. Must download track.

:bu:

Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 14:48 03/09/04
Get it here
or here

--
bombholio

Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 15:09 03/09/04
Thanks.

PS...

> The Bee Gees - The Very Best Of Bee Gees - 19 - Tragedy

Hmmm.

Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 15:22 03/09/04
work in progress, was going to steal the bassline and stick something on the top, which is why most of the new playlists aren't done yet...not enough time.

and there's always this to blance things out :)

--
bombholio

Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 15:42 03/09/04
so waddaya think of the new Prodigy stuff then ?

PS Don't forget 'Le Peuple De L'Herbe' wot i played you t'other day....

--
bombholio

Re: Track of the week Gordon Hundley - 17:40 03/09/04
I like it, its clearly the work of Liam Howlett. I think the bulk of the reviews are by a bunch of simpletons who have no idea what Prodigy is. No, it's not FOTL or MFTJG, but it is nevertheless most assuredly the representative of the composer.

Some have said its too much of a departure from FOTL. It's not that album certainly, but that's a good thing. Although FOTH was packed with catchy hooks, the faux metal sound got a little tiresome.

Others ave said that it doesn't have the dancefloor grooves that were on Experience or MFTGJ. It doesn't. Do you think that could be because Maxim isn't there to do the mixes? So bleeding what? There's no shortage of MCs in Britain that can be brought in to fill the dance mix requirements.

Liam's signature sounds are still there, they've grown more mature, and many of the tracks figure highly in the Prodigy corpus. Not having all the tracks mixed for the dancefloor or filled full of hard guitar to support Keith's limited vocals is a blessing, not a curse. All the signature elements of hip-hop, electro and hardfloor that have long provided the Prodigy foundation are there, in a cleaner, more DJ-friendly format. I for one can't wait to see what some talented DJs make of it.

Yes, it is the same Juliette Lewis... my nod goes to the vocalist Paul Jackson (of unsigned Essex band Dirt Candy), who does a fierce number on Action Radar. It's also nice to see the other Liam, brother-in-law Gallagher using his tonsils for something different.

--
DrGoon

Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 18:00 03/09/04
blimey, don't sit on the fence Gordon, tell us what you really think ;-p

What about you, got anything new worth listening to ?

--
bombholio

Re: Track of the week Gordon Hundley - 00:52 07/09/04
Anything new? But of course. :)

Slightly annoying that no sooner do I leave Britain, Porcupine Tree mature into one of the finest bands of the time. Anything Steven Wilson touches these days is gold. You have to get his homage to Krautrock, Arcadia Son by IEM. Awesome.

Over here, there is the fine The Mars Volta who are producing some good "Kosmische" music, with clear references to space rock jam bands like Hawkwind, and Krautrock like Can.

Also from this side of the pond, Phish have now split up, and impressive though they were, they weren't my thing most of the time. So that frees up Trey Anastasio, who has been doing the rounds recently with folks like Dave Matthews, and contributed to his excellent solo album. If you can find it, they did an amazing show for VH1 "Trey and Dave go to Africa" where they played with Orchestra Baobob.

This Oysterhead album featuring Trey, Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland is wonderful if you haven't yet picked it up.

Rush live have been as hot as they've ever been, which is nice after quite a few fallow years. The Rio DVD is incredible, but catch one of their UK shows if you can.

Next on my gig list is Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. We have tickets that should see us right in front of the incomparable Victor Wooten.
--
DrGoon