Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Wi-Fi Sniper rifle, range 10 miles
by David Crowson at 13:16 03/08/04 (Blogs::Dave)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/03/wi-fi_aerial_gun/
--
bombholio
<< Friday night It's Been a While >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Wi-Fi Sniper rifle, range 10 miles David Crowson - 13:16 03/08/04
Prediction Simon - 09:01 04/08/04
So now we're all used to zapping microwaves around at head height, to the point of developing tight beam antennas.

I foresee a rapid development of directed energy beam weapons - silent, deadly, invisible.

I hereby stake my claim to having prior art in protection against such weapons - a wearable faraday cage.

Such a suit is simple to make - just run threads of metal through the cloth at suitable separation (ie a couple of cm at Wifi freq)

Not exactly tinfoil hats, but close. Don't forget your cyberburka!
--
simon

Re: Prediction Bruce Ure - 10:08 04/08/04
I've been pondering why there aren't 'photon torpedo' type weapons yet; pulsed lasers I suppose, that would vapourise (or stun, possibly, depending on setting of little lever on top).

All the science of long-range sniping--bullet drop, wind drift, etc--goes right out the window and the only skill is then "how still can you keep you weapon?" (f'nerk!).

Don't think your Farawear (tm) protective suit's gonna save you from *my* death ray.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re: Prediction Hugo van der Sanden - 10:13 04/08/04
Nope, you'll need a mirror to protect against that. :)

Hugo

Re: Prediction Bruce Ure - 10:26 04/08/04
My, aren't you going to look fetching :-)
Re: Prediction Gordon Hundley - 06:15 05/08/04
IIRC, Marc Miller talked about this somewhere when discussing battle dress armor in his Traveller RPG. Be a couple of decades ago in prior art intellectual property. :)

That said, the concept has been used before in "Real Life". Electric power workers wear faraday suits when working on very high voltage equipment.

That's why superheated plasma is so much more useful in a portable energy weapon. Messy.
--
DrGoon