Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands
by Simon at 22:39 07/06/11 (Blogs::Simon)
Strike me purple and call me Frank.

It turns out that CIX looks like it might have some kind of future that doesn't simply conclude in the last two members simultaneously flouncing off in mutual annihilation.

A number of ex-CIXen have rejoined (confusingly, many under new nicknames) as a result of ICUKNet's buyout and expectation of a glorious new dawn has risen to unprecedented heights.

Currently there's a thread about whether or not there is a limit to the number of topics in a conference or messages in a topic.

It's like the good old days.

If ICUKNet can deliver on what they're attempting to achieve, and retain the goodwill of the CIX community in the process (something that many previous owners have singularly failed to do) then this could be interesting.

--
simon

<< Total Lunar Eclipse June 15 20... Another million dollar idea I ... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Simon - 22:39 07/06/11
Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Dominic Search - 02:45 08/06/11
And there was I contemplating closing my account a few months ago... it seems a very long time ago that I was part of "Europe's biggest conversation", yet I seem to be having no end of big conversations ;-)

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 19:24 09/06/11
I wish this will be true. Actually, I want this to be true. I desperately want an alternative to the horror that is Facebook. I've already trimmed a huge wodge of people from my Friends list that I've never communicated with and that's probably more a function of how hard it is to stay engaged in discussions on Facebook than on CIX.

However I can't see myself using Ameol again. The interface is so horribly antiquated now that it just makes me feel like I'm using some AOL client from 1994. And the web interface is the pits of unusability. Every time I try it I come away feeling more and more frustrated. That just leaves the telnet interface. Or, actually, the old Vienna v1 OLR I wrote years ago and then handed off to Christine. Wonder if it is still going?

I wonder what they're trying to achieve though? What is going to make CIX stand out in this era of social networks?

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Simon - 21:03 09/06/11
I use Parlance on a Mac, and it's OK.

ICUKNet have plans for a completely new client based around the API - AMEOL is to be bugfixed as and when required but no further development is planned for it. Naturally this is provoking howls of anguish from people for whom it's their only email client.

What'll make CIX stand out? Dunno - maybe not trying to flog 'anonymised' personal data to advertisers.
--
simon

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 21:38 09/06/11
Trying to avoid the temptation to start coding Ameol3 in Java... :-)

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Simon - 22:15 09/06/11
It's a bit bloody late now! :-)
--
simon
Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 21:37 13/06/11
Does anybody have Leslie's e-mail address?

I'd like to see if I can get my spalmer account resurrected.

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Bruce Ure - 23:02 13/06/11
There's a link at https://forums.cixonline.com/index.aspx for ex-cixen to reactivate their accounts.

I filled it in yesterday (or this morning? I forget) and have heard nothing yet re. my bdge account.

--

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 19:21 14/06/11
Check your spam folder. I bet you got a bounce reply saying the CIX account e-mail address is incorrect. :-)

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Bruce Ure - 19:27 14/06/11
You are right. Unbefuckinglievable.

Do you have a proper one, that works?

--

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 19:31 14/06/11
Nope. But I'll let Leslie know on Geoff's twix system since he hangs out there and is pretty responsive.

Probably not his fault since that link was there before ICUK took over. Likely just one more example of the old regime's lack of care and attention.

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Bruce Ure - 19:32 14/06/11
Cheers. Lemme know if he wants the headers.

--

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 18:59 16/06/11
I think it is sorted now. Leslie got me my spalmer account reactivated.

I've had a long thought and I've come to the decision that I want CIX to succeed and that the way CIX works, is run and the overall ethos of CIX fits my own social view better than crap like Facebook or Twitter. So I've resigned from both and I plan to devote my energies to CIX and helping rebuild the communities on there. As long as I feel that Leslie will bring the energy into improving CIX and keeping the momentum going, it seems only fair to give him the support he needs.

Besides, it would be nice to see the "loema" account going again. :-)

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Simon - 19:09 16/06/11
Hooray!
--
simon
Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Bruce Ure - 20:01 16/06/11
No reply from Leslie :-/

Bounce from 'come back to us!' -type link on cix site.

Guess they don't want me back. *Sniff*.

--

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 20:23 16/06/11
OK, I'll check with him - I didn't actually tell him to e-mail you though but just to get someone to fix the bug. Didn't you create a bdge2 account though?

We do want you back! :-)

--
stevepa

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Bruce Ure - 22:39 16/06/11
Yeah I created bdge2 but then thought, this is totally useless, I need bdge back :)

--

Re: ICUKNet to lead CIX into the sunlit uplands Steve - 23:15 16/06/11
I asked Leslie to get in touch with you to sort it out so hopefully he or Mat will soon.

--
stevepa