Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

First posting
by Simon at 13:35 26/08/03 (Forum::QCUIAG::General)
I've set this area up having watched the discussions recently on the QCUIAG Yahoogroups list...
A couple of people floated the idea of a multimedia forum as a useful thing to have alongside an email-only list, especially since Yahoo have changed their policy recently regarding attachments in digests.

This area is set up so that any visitor can read items in it, registered users of this site may post and comment to articles, and members of a special QCUIAG group are allowed to attach files to their posts.

Any registered user can subscribe to a nightly email of new posts made here, and members of the QCUIAG group may subscribe to 'immediate' notifications when any new posts are made.

I've just knocked this together fairly quickly, and the configuration for the precise behaviour can be changed around (look and feel too), but do people think this might be a useful way to develop the QCUIAG's online community?

Comments welcomed (you'll have to set up an account, of course).

Feel free to poke about the rest of the site to get an idea of how it all works.
--
simon

View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
First posting Simon - 13:35 26/08/03
Couple of other things Simon - 15:34 26/08/03
1) Although this particular forum is open and visible to the public, the software behind the site is capable of restricting access on a very fine-grained basis.

2) It's not just forum software, it's a community engine.
--
simon

raises eyebrow David Crowson - 21:53 27/08/03
"QCUIAG ?" I thought, so off I went to yahoo to find out....

Fascinating stuff..

--
bombholio

Everyone's busy with Mars right now Simon - 10:03 28/08/03
Yahoo changed their policy recently and no longer send out aggregated file attachments with the digest format of their Yahoogroups stuff.

You can only get attachments if you subscribe to receive each list message one by one, and the QCUIAG list is pretty high traffic.

So there was some debate on the list about what to do, and a couple of folk mentioned they'd be into a multimedia webforum approach to make having discussions easier (mailing lists are pretty bad for ongoing discussions, in my view, all too easy for threads to break).

As a result, I set this area up and posted a message to the list asking anyone interested to pop over and discuss whether this would be a useful facility to have.

I can tell by the logs that a number of people have taken a look, but no-one has replied to me either on list or here or privately so far.

Far more important to get as many good images of Mars as possible at the moment, webforums and such can wait - and rightly so!

I do hope someone from the list sets up an account and replies fairly soon though, I'd have thought at least those who expressed an interest in forums in the first place would have said something, even if it was only 'this is pants!'
--
simon

talking of MARS pictures David Crowson - 10:54 28/08/03
Will you be digging out the telescope this week sometime (weather permitting) ?

I fancy attempting to take a few pics with the digicamera ...
--
bombholio

Yup, that's the intention Simon - 11:30 28/08/03
JonT's likely to come over, as is Hugo, perhaps on Friday or Saturday.

Since you're not too far away, the best bet is to give me a call if it looks clear where you are at about 10.30pm.

Mars doesn't get out from behind the neighbour's trees until just after 11pm here, and it only gets high enough for a decent view from about 11.30pm.

I had a quick look last night, as it cleared up unexpectedly at 11pm. The south polar icecap was visible as a glinting white area, and I could (just) make out the contrasting brightness of the uplands and lowlands regions when the atmosphere stopped wobbling for a few seconds every so often.

You're welcome to point your digital camera through the scope, but results may be variable :-) since I don't have a suitable adapter, and I don't think you'd thank me for dismantling your camera to get at the CCD!
--
simon

OK David Crowson - 12:12 28/08/03
I doubt it'll be clear tonite,but I'll phone if it is. I'll pop round Fri pm anyways and I shall bring my special camera adapter (a toilet roll and some duck tape:)

--
bombholio

Friday... Simon - 12:35 28/08/03
It's my birthday, so Kris and I'll likely be out early evening having a meal. Should be back in time for any Mars watching though. As I say, best to call first just in case.
--
simon
sure thing David Crowson - 12:52 28/08/03
and felicitations.

--
bombholio