Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Quantum stuff is counter-intuitive :-)
by Simon at 16:01 15/07/04 (Blogs::Simon)
Einstein disliked the 'spooky action at a distance' property of certain QM effects (you may've heard of the scientists who are 'teleporting' photons around a lab by 'entangling' them? It's an application of that spooky action at a distance property) so you're in good company if you (like me) can't get your head round most of its concepts!

It's very hard to use macroscopic analogies for QM effects, precisely because QM doesn't manifest itself at the macroscropic scale. If it did, the world would be considerably weirder than it already is.

So when I say 'interact', I'm talking about the net influence of all possible causal effects (both forward and retroactive) - even the ones we don't have explanations for right now. Your choice of the word 'shape' instead is just as valid, so if you prefer we could say that the past shapes the present which shapes the future.

The time-symmetry effects (which are mathematically valid solutions, and even have practical applications in things like semiconductors) just mean that the future can shape the present which can shape the past.

So a fear of the future can shape courses of actions in the present - where it gets tricky is when you start considering tangible things in the future being able to affect the present and the past.

Dom's example of changing our self-history to alter our current selves is a nice illustration.
--
simon

<< Thoughts on a possible public ... Apple and BMW, Microsoft and .... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Oi - that's *my* theory! Simon - 14/07
    Re: Oi - that's *my* theory! David Crowson - 14/07
    Re: Oi - that's *my* theory! scott wright - 15/07
       Re: Oi - that's *my* theory! Simon - 15/07
          Re: Oi - that's *my* theory! scott wright - 15/07
             Quantum stuff is counter-intui... Simon - 15/07
                Re: Quantum stuff is counter-i... Dominic Search - 15/07
                   Re: Quantum stuff is counter-i... Simon - 15/07