Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes
by Steve at 18:45 28/05/09 (Blogs::Simon)
Interesting. I've always personally thought that our ancestors were a lot smarter than we sometimes give them credit for. Especially since their senses weren't being dulled by toxic lead poisoning and other industrial fumes. :-)

Given the long lead time in which Stonehenge grew up, it seems like there was plenty of time beforehand for somebody to notice and mark the 18.6 year cycle then. Nothing mysterious or other-worldly - just basic attention to astronomy and probably linking it with the religious beliefs of the time.

One other reason I'm asking is that I've a couple of friends coming over from the USA to stay for a night or two in early July, and they've expressed interest in visiting Amersham. We might swing by Stonehenge on the way and I can at least give them a little more than the potted history guide. :-)

--
stevepa

<< Installing QGIS 1.02-2 for Leo... Canada's Stonehenge (again) >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 26/05
    Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Steve - 28/05
       Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 28/05
          Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Steve - 28/05
             Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 29/05