Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Thoughts on a possible public backlash against MS
by Hugo van der Sanden at 15:26 04/07/04 (Blogs::Simon)
The impression I get is that the "next generation" continues to prefer MicroSoft, because it's easily the best supported games platform (within the class of general purpose computers as opposed to dedicated games platforms).

And of course companies won't start investing in games for other platforms until they have the penetration to guarantee any new game will ship enough units to justify the development costs.

The move towards multimedia games means that any new game requires a vast investment in content - the game engine is no longer a significant part of the development effort - and so the recent advances in open source games development tools is unlikely to be enough to counterbalance this effect.

It's not going to change until either the fad switches to games that require less content creation (unlikely, I suspect), or some other platform gains enough market share for other reasons to justify the game development costs; and because the costs continue to increase, so does the penetration threshold required.

Hugo

<< Roslyn Chapel gets an RSS news... Oi - that's *my* theory! >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Thoughts on a possible public ... Simon - 2/07
    Re: Thoughts on a possible pub... Hugo van der Sanden - 4/07
    Re: Thoughts on a possible pub... Nic Jackson - 5/07
       IE and standards Simon - 5/07
          Re: IE and standards Nic Jackson - 5/07
             Re: IE and standards Simon - 5/07
    Re: Thoughts on a possible pub... Simon - 26/07
       Re: Thoughts on a possible pub... David Crowson - 27/07
       Re: Thoughts on a possible pub... Gordon Hundley - 27/07