Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Impressive OSX-ery
by Bruce Ure at 11:35 18/01/08 (Blogs::Bruce)
A while back I thought I'd screwed up some file operation or other by moving the destination file to a different folder midway through whatever it was that was happening to it. I think it was just being moved from one place to another. I pretty much convinced myself I was dreaming, but just now I had a chance to test something similar, and blow me if it didn't work.
I was unRARing a huge file, and knew I wanted to move it after it was finished, but instead of waiting, I thought I'd give it a go mid-operation to see what happened.

I was expecting an OS message saying the file was in use, but instead, the file moved. Not only that but rather than end up with two half-files, as you might have expected, the unRAR utility continued to unRAR *to the moved file*.

Whether this is a file system thing or an unRAR thing, I have no idea, but my money's on the former.

Impressed.

--

<< NUSYSTEMS just made my shitlis... I'm a Mudlark -- it's official >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Impressive OSX-ery Bruce Ure - 18/01
    Re: Impressive OSX-ery Steve - 18/01
       Re: Impressive OSX-ery Hugo van der Sanden - 18/01