Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: VMWare competition for Parallels
by Bruce Ure at 20:42 15/01/07 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
Possibly this is a tad different from what you're thinking of.

The Intel Macs have the ability to run some (lots of, I think) Windows instructions natively, at the hardware level, instead of under an emulation of an Intel CPU in software, which makes it loads quicker.

You can't emulate an (Intel - not sure about PPC) Mac under Windows, because OSX checks its hardware and if it's not Apple it won't run on it. (Exception: certain die-hard folk have coerced OSX into running on non-Apple Intel hardware, and therefore probably virtual hardware as well, but it's mostly just proof of concept).

And yes Windows windows on a Mac has been done before, but I for one have never seen Windows application windows and Mac application windows on the same desktop, co-existing. IME Windows has always run as a VM in a window of its own, and programs therefore all run in that window as well -- one window for all the Windows apps.

The new version of Parallels which I described as spooky, allows Windows windows to run in their own window, IYSWIM, amongst the OSX windows.

It is quite bizarre the first time you see it, although I'll grant that it probably looks better than it describes.

Fuck it... here's a screenshot.

--

<< Build Your Own Mac PVR (for fr... Google Analytics Access Manage... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
VMWare competition for Paralle... Bruce Ure - 22/12
    Re: VMWare competition for Par... David Crowson - 22/12
       Re: VMWare competition for Par... Bruce Ure - 22/12
             Re: VMWare competition for Par... Bruce Ure - 22/12
                   Re: VMWare competition for Par... Bruce Ure - 15/01
                      - Deleted User Account - 15/01
                         Re: VMWare competition for Par... Bruce Ure - 15/01
                            Re: VMWare competition for Par... Simon - 15/01
                               Re: VMWare competition for Par... Bruce Ure - 16/01
                                  Re: VMWare competition for Par... Simon - 16/01
                            - Deleted User Account - 16/01
    - Deleted User Account - 24/04