Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: [falls off chair]
by Simon at 09:46 10/11/06 (Blogs::Dave)
Plug it in, turn it on, use 'About this Mac' under the Apple menu on the top LHS of the screen to discover what version of the OS it has installed (should be 10.4.x).

This is second-hand yes? You probably want to vape and reinstall from the original disks to get it into a known clean state as the first step. Then go through the initial setup, which it'll guide you through when you reboot for the first time afterwards.

In the process it'll set up your networking to get online (unless you've got a weird ISP it should be just plug in the ethernet cable and away you go - DHCP is 'standard' config) and then run (from the Apple menu again) "Mac OS X Softare Update" to grab and install all the latest updates.

The initially-created account is an 'admin' account, so you might want to create a normal account for your day-to-day use as the next step. There are 'short names' and 'long names' for each account username - eg my main account shortname is 'sb', but I log in as 'Simon Banton' (well, I don't really, but I'm not posting my actual usernames in your blog!)

And off you go... and remember - don't try to out-think it.

Put any new applications into the machine-wide 'Applications' folder at the root of the hard disk. When you try to do so, you'll be prompted for the admin user password (assuming you're logged in under the non-privileged account).

Explore the Apple menu (System Preferences are under there) and getting around generally. If you want a command line, 'Terminal' lives in Applications -> Utilities.

That's all I can think of for now.

NB: I don't use Apple Mail, so don't ask me how to use it :-)
--
simon

<< Wannabe a Music Mogul ? Every Topic in the Universe >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Just one more after Dinner min... David Crowson - 8/11
    Re: Just one more after Dinner... Steve - 8/11
       Re: Just one more after Dinner... Bruce Ure - 8/11
       Re: Just one more after Dinner... David Crowson - 8/11
          [falls off chair] Simon - 9/11
             Re: [falls off chair] David Crowson - 9/11
                Re: [falls off chair] Simon - 9/11
             Re: [falls off chair] David Crowson - 10/11
                Re: [falls off chair] Simon - 10/11
                Re: [falls off chair] Bruce Ure - 10/11
                            Re: BSOD Simon - 10/11
                                                    Re: [falls off chair] Hugo van der Sanden - 11/11
                                                       Re: [falls off chair] Simon - 11/11
                                                    Re: [falls off chair] Gordon Hundley - 30/11
                                              Re: [falls off chair] Steve - 11/11
                Re: [falls off chair] There is an attachment here David Crowson - 10/11