Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - extended south
by Simon at 17:00 25/06/06 (Blogs::Simon)
I swear that Google Earth is the biggest chronivore yet developed.

Upgraded to Google Earth Plus, and downloaded the beta of version 4. This allows me to save paths, which is a great help.

Anyway, I was up on Sidbury Hill yesterday afternoon, OS map in hand, figuring out the path of the solstice alignment south-west back towards Stonehenge.

On the far horizon, maybe 30 miles away I could make out a distinctive oddly shaped hill. It seems that Stonehenge is on the solstice alignment line between that hill and Sidbury.

Projecting the line between Sidbury and Stonehenge back towards the south-west, the first hill encountered which is high enough to project against the skyline from Sidbury Hill (224m) appears to be Melbury Hill (236m), a couple of miles south of Shaftesbury.

Here's a screenshot (you may want to open the full size version from the Attachments link below, if you're following along in detail):

Melbury Hill to Sidbury Hill solstice alignment

The .kml placemarks for Google Earth for Melbury and Sidbury Hills are attached below.

Also on or very close next to this alignment are some interesting other features:

ChicksgroveChicksgrove

Grovely CastleGrovely Castle (white line is the path of the alignment)

Stapleford CastleStapleford Castle

and of course:

StonehengeStonehenge

If it wasn't tipping down with rain right now, I'd be on top of Melbury Hill with a map and a camera :-) Next week maybe.

Of course this means that, come Winter Solstice, I'm going to have to be up on top of Sidbury Hill to watch the sun set into Melbury Hill, 30 miles away.
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (478 K) Melbury to Sidbury solstice alignment
other (0 K) Melbury Hill Google Earth placemark
other (0 K) Sidbury Hill Google Earth placemark
JPG image (76 K) Chicksgrove
JPG image (54 K) Grovely Castle
JPG image (42 K) Stapleford Castle
JPG image (38 K) Stonehenge
<< www.renew-reuse-recycle.com iChat and AIM connection probl... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - ... Simon - 15/05
    Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
       Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
          Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
             Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
                Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 16/05
                   Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Bruce Ure - 23/06
                         Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 23/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 23/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 25/06
                         - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 27/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 8/12