Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: FTP weirdness
by Gordon Hundley at 19:04 05/06/06 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
Not sure I follow all this. You say proftpd and firewall... what's the server OS, where's the firewall - on the same box, or between? It got confusing when you threw Macs and Windows servers into the equation. Do you have a plethora of servers behind a firewall that are not working? The you speak of Mac firewall settings, yet the default ftp server is tnftpd... did you put a proftpd on a Mac, if so which one?

At a guess... there's a proftpd somewhere and the Macs and Windows boxes are red herrings, and are just clients? The proftpd is probably set up not to use passive mode or is masquerading as something. The firewall looks like it doesn't have the ftp data port open which is required for active mode, hence why LIST will time out.

Tell me what the ftp server is, and I'll tell you how to enable PASV (though you may have to throw me a bone with some config lines - eg: masquerade). Tell me what the firewall is and I'll tell you how to put in rules that allow active and passive connections.
--
DrGoon

<< Guy Kewney and his interview - >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
FTP weirdness Bruce Ure - 5/06
    Re: FTP weirdness Bruce Ure - 5/06
                Re: FTP weirdness Simon - 5/06
             Re: FTP weirdness Simon - 5/06