Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: iChat and AIM connection problems
by Simon at 08:53 24/05/06 (Blogs::Simon)
I sniffed the traffic while the problem was still happening, and the trace showed that the timeout was happening immediately after iChat sent the username@mac.com string across the wire but prior to the password being sent.

The way I think it works is by AIM's servers spotting a .Mac username and then attempting to proxy that login session to Apple's user db for the actual credential verification.

Surely otherwise AIM would have sight of (if not local copies of) the .Mac account credentials - which has to be in violation of any number of data protection principles (there not being, as far as I can remember, anything in the iChat terms and conditions about agreeing to share account details with a 3rd party - ie AOL.)

The real issue is as you say - Apple's lack of acknowledgement of the problem.

I'll take a look at Wildfire, but really I don't want the hassle of having to tell everyone that if they need to chat to me then they'll have to reconfigure their client to use a different server - losing their AIM-hosted buddy list in the process.

--
simon

<< Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - ... We're scared of comets for a r... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
iChat and AIM connection probl... Simon - 23/05
    Re: iChat and AIM connection p... Gordon Hundley - 23/05
       Re: iChat and AIM connection p... Simon - 24/05