Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Consume.net?
by Simon at 11:19 08/04/04 (Blogs::Nic)
Have you come across this project? Community based WiFi. I particularly like the conversion of empty Pringles tins into directional WiFi antenna (up to 10Km range, just don't look into the open end of the antenna or you'll microwave your face)

Also, there's the mesh cellular IP networks that are being trialled in the USA (and possibly Cornwall I think)

3G is where it's going to end up for the 'pay as you surf' market (22p to send a picture message? I think not!), but what you really need is an all-pervading network where you can *choose* to pay for as much bandwidth as you need at the time (modem speed - free, 15MB file, 30 mins at modem speeds, or you can pay a quid and get it in 30 seconds). That'll arise out of IPv6 bandwidth negotiation technology, I guess.

I want an iPod with pluggable additional hardware - kind of a lego-based approach. Add ons for GPS, phone, videocamera, etc - HandSpring did something like this, but I don't know how well it worked.

Convergence is going to happen at the handheld level, not the desktop level, in my view (but I'm my own exception to that rule - for instance, I want a TV Tuner and an LCD projector so I can use my laptop instead of my TV. But why limit what you've got on your wall to what's being broadcast is my question - ask us about our "Outside-In" idea sometime)

By the way, how are you fixed this Saturday evening? Time for a get-together round ours? Dave - you reading this too?

--
simon

<< Zombies and Popular Music Spam or Seti / Oral Sex Pryami... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
3G iPod ? Nic Jackson - 8/04
    Consume.net? Simon - 8/04
       Re: Consume.net? Nic Jackson - 8/04
          Wireless card Simon - 8/04
    Re: 3G iPod ? David Crowson - 8/04