Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Benediction
by David Wilson at 17:12 26/04/05 (Forum::Seqfan)
"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back -- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." - Geothe

I first happened on the "Handbook of Integer Sequences" as a Cornell freshman around 1978, and kept the book out for 6 months straight. Later, around 1997, I stumbled onto the OEIS, found some errors, mailed NJAS, and became an OEIS watchdog. Like all Seqfans, I have had plenty of dreams, gripes and suggestions for the OEIS. It has been clear to many of us for a long time that the OEIS is a successful prototype in need of a major facelift to reach its potential.

But the journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Long ago, NJAS took the step to create the OEIS, and now Marc LeBrun has taken the step that we all knew needed to be taken. I cannot say whether XML is the right direction for the OEIS, but it really doesn't matter: the important thing is that the step has been taken, and now, as Goethe promised, friends are rising up to guide and speed the endeavor.

I expect great things out of this project, and in a short time. You have my blessings and all the poor help I can render.

--
Dave Wilson

What needs fixing? >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Welcome Hugo van der Sanden - 26/04
    Benediction David Wilson - 26/04