Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: It's war.
by Dominic Search at 16:23 04/12/04 (Blogs::Simon)
Agreed, but I couldn't resist giving it a quick evaluation... it certainly seemed to use a fairly modest amount of my bandwidth, but I understand the overall up take was way higher than they expected and their site allocation algorithm was too aggressive. Two days in it kept saying I wasn't connected to the Internet and so wouldn't work... turns out it was them who weren't connected (blocked by backbone providers).

I think the Lycos experiment was brave and worthwhile. They implemented an idea that's been discussed online for sometime and have shown there is clearly a strong public mood for vengeance against spammers. However they have also shown the fallacy of taking such vengeance into one's own hands - the escalation of tactics implicit in this kind of war is simply not the way to address the issue.

OTOH, unless the lawmakers and technologist find a solution PDQ, we could see the Lycos experiment go the way of P2P in that it will re-appear in a much more diffuse and less blockable fashion.

--
Dom

<< www.SorryEverybody.com Adverting - Google worried abo... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
It's war. Simon - 1/12
    Re: It's war. Dominic Search - 4/12
       Re: It's war. Simon - 5/12
          Re: It's war. Dominic Search - 6/12
             Re: It's war. Graham Freeman - 7/12