Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Track of the week
by Gordon Hundley at 17:40 03/09/04 (Blogs::Dave)
I like it, its clearly the work of Liam Howlett. I think the bulk of the reviews are by a bunch of simpletons who have no idea what Prodigy is. No, it's not FOTL or MFTJG, but it is nevertheless most assuredly the representative of the composer.

Some have said its too much of a departure from FOTL. It's not that album certainly, but that's a good thing. Although FOTH was packed with catchy hooks, the faux metal sound got a little tiresome.

Others ave said that it doesn't have the dancefloor grooves that were on Experience or MFTGJ. It doesn't. Do you think that could be because Maxim isn't there to do the mixes? So bleeding what? There's no shortage of MCs in Britain that can be brought in to fill the dance mix requirements.

Liam's signature sounds are still there, they've grown more mature, and many of the tracks figure highly in the Prodigy corpus. Not having all the tracks mixed for the dancefloor or filled full of hard guitar to support Keith's limited vocals is a blessing, not a curse. All the signature elements of hip-hop, electro and hardfloor that have long provided the Prodigy foundation are there, in a cleaner, more DJ-friendly format. I for one can't wait to see what some talented DJs make of it.

Yes, it is the same Juliette Lewis... my nod goes to the vocalist Paul Jackson (of unsigned Essex band Dirt Candy), who does a fierce number on Action Radar. It's also nice to see the other Liam, brother-in-law Gallagher using his tonsils for something different.

--
DrGoon

<< Watch in awe Swings and Roundabouts >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Track of the week David Crowson - 2/09
    Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 2/09
       Re: Track of the week David Crowson - 3/09
          Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 3/09
                Re: Track of the week Bruce Ure - 3/09