Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Libelled by a mail filter?
by Simon at 13:53 16/08/04 (Blogs::Simon)
So this morning I get a request from someone who's having trouble registering on a site, claiming that despite registering twice they've never got a 'Welcome' mail with their account details.
Naturally, I want to help, so spend a few minutes going through the logs checking that indeed we did send the email and the remote mailserver accepted it. Good news - that means the problem's at the user's end.

Done and dusted? Nope. A while after sending my reply, including the relevant log lines to help the user track down what happened to the inbound email at his end, I get a message from them asking what was in my previous email because their system has quarantined it with the following message:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 August 2004 10:37
To: ******, *****
Subject: Message Quarantined - Re:Fwd: RE: SUSIE

Mailsweeper has quarantined a possible virus attachment.

To: *****@****sman.co.uk

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:37:14 +0100
Subject: Re:Fwd: RE: SUSIE
Classification: Incoming Virus Attachment Detected

Reason: This email contains a suspect attachment such as a program, batch
file, screensaver or protected content most commonly associated with current
virus trends - hence this email has been quarantined.

There are two main problems with this:

1) There was no attachment.

and

2) There was no attachment.

Now, I realise that that's actually the same problem, but it's such a biggie I thought it needed saying twice.

Further investigation reveals that the filter at the other end quarantines *anything* that contains the pattern:

p*ssword

Shades of not allowing people from Scunthorpe to register on AOL...

Mailsweeper's site makes the bold claim:

MAILsweeper™ for Exchange

Bring the power of the #1 content security solution to internal mail

... sadly, it doesn't go on to say "... by preventing useful communication, and spewing out inaccurate Classifications willy-nilly."

Maybe I should sue...
--
simon

<< Secrets of the Pyramids Grokster decision >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Libelled by a mail filter? Simon - 16/08
    Re: Libelled by a mail filter? Gordon Hundley - 18/08