Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Picasso's Guernica - Images within Images (3rd Ed.) by Melvin E. Becraft
by Melvin E Becraft at 06:02 01/05/15 (Forum::Picasso)

Final remarks by author on April 30, 2015

Julian Jaynes, a Princeton professor, wrote a book titled "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" (1976). Speculating on the derivation of language
Proessor Janes theorized that human language developed over time by building a complex metaphorical vocabulary. As I understand professor Jaynes's book, complex language may be

thought of as a creation of a mountain built from metaphors where one metaphor leads to another and that new metaphor leads to yet another and so on.

Picasso's painting "Guernica" is such a metaphorical construction though pictorial not vocal. If studied in depth one Guernica image suggests other images, and those new images give

rise to more images and so on until Picasso completed his masterpiece. Thus in my book "Picasso's Guernia, Images within Images" Picasso's hidden images are complex, and point to

visual metaphors mimicing spoken language. I maintain that Picasso created an initial image and then intentionally used that image to suggest other images. My book "Picasso's

Guernica Images within Images" shows that the painting "Guernica" contains a plethora of intentionally hidden visual metaphors.

Hidden images of Hitler and Goering are without doubt in Guernica (my pages 23 and 24). An image of the painting "Guernica" hangs in the United Nations building, New York City.

Images of the painting should hang in all legislative capitols of the world because when properly understood "Guernica" is a painting spawned by the horrors of war yet secretly
calls for reconciliation of warring parties. See my above remarks on Telephoros who represents reconciliation and is played by Picasso hidden at the very center of the painting.

<< unknown masterpiece Possible Picasso drawing >>
View Comments (Flat Mode)
Picasso's Guernica - Images wi... There is an attachment here Simon - 28/10
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 9/03
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 15/03
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 3/04
       Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 24/04
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 18/04
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 25/04
    Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 11/10
       Re: Picasso's Guernica (Melvin... Mel Becraft - 25/02
    Re: Picasso's Guernica - Image... Melvin E Becraft - 1/05