Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Not remotely useful
by Bruce Ure at 12:36 07/03/11 (Blogs::Bruce)
No I sussed it yesterday but I thought I'd hit the international updating-your-own-blog-posts 'nerd threshold' and decided not to bother. But since you ask... it's the fact that the pin from the SIL module that you connect via an LED and a resistor to VCC to indicate transmitter activity, doubles as the TRANSMITTER LEARN command if you connect it to GND instead. So by e.g. soldering the SIL side of the LED wire without unplugging the power (path to earth, albeit tortuous, via soldering iron!), and a number of other fiddles, I've been accidentally telling the receiver to learn a transmitter that never transmits -- because I didn't realise I was pressing it.

Make sense? No I didn't think so.

You are right about RFI being a bastard around here though. I blame the station, or the taxis, or the CI tower, or all three. My RF shed alarm didn't work because of it. Also the doorbell sometimes rings when it shouldn't (including when the neighbour's bell is rung, but that's another story).

--

<< Ubuntu Industrial Blu-Tack equivalent... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Not remotely useful Bruce Ure - 6/03
    Re: Not remotely useful Bruce Ure - 6/03
          Re: Not remotely useful Simon - 6/03
             - Deleted User Account - 7/03
                Re: Not remotely useful Bruce Ure - 7/03
                   - Deleted User Account - 7/03